What is ASKP?
The American Society of Ketamine Physicians is a group of professionals dedicated to the safe clinical use of ketamine for mental health disorders and pain conditions.
ASKP is officially open for membership.
2018 ASKP Annual Meeting
Conference runs September 21st & 22nd
Basics of Administration
All of the providers in our group ascribe to the same basic tenets of safety when administering Ketamine for Non-Anesthetic Indications (KNAI).
1. Patients should be screened for and have been found to have a condition that is appropriate for ketamine treatment – Unipolar Major Depression, Bipolar Depression, PTSD, OCD, Fibromyalgia, CRPS and chronic pain.
2. A full history and physical including psychiatric disorders and substance abuse disorders should be completed in the patient’s chart.
3. The patient’s medications and allergies should be documented to reduce reasonable risk of medication interaction and side effects.
4. Given the off-label nature of ketamine use for these disorders, appropriate consent should be obtained.
5. The usual starting dose for patients should be .5 mg/kg to 1 mg/kg IV over 40-60 minutes. Dose escalation may be necessary to achieve desired response. Chronic pain conditions typically require higher doses over longer periods. A practitioner should have their established protocol either published online, or be willing to share with other practitioners.
6. The patient’s vital signs should be monitored during administration and return to pre-administration values before discharge from the clinic. A provider credentialed in ACLS should be present during the administration as well.
7. Patients receiving ketamine therapeutically should not be allowed to drive themselves home from their appointment, or for 12 hours after their infusion.
8. We do not support the use of medically unsupervised parenterally administered ketamine.
Thank you again for your interest in joining our society. Please click below to fill out the application
*Your application is subject to approval. We reserve the right to decline your membership. Once membership is approved, and payment is accepted, memberships and payments will automatically renewed annually, unless ASKP membership staff is notified in writing.
ASKP Mailing Address:
6565 West Loop, Ste 530
Bellaire, TX 77401-3500
2017/2018 American Society of Ketamine Physician Officers
Questions can be addressed to: email@example.com
Steven Mandel, MD* – President
Steven Levine, MD* – Vice-President
Sandhya Prashad, MD* – Secretary
Carl J. Bonnett, MD* – Treasurer
Jake Hollingsworth, DO* – Webmaster
Megan Oxley, MD* – Membership Chair
Isabel Legarda, – MD*
The Society does not endorse any of the products, vendors, providers,documentation, or services referenced in this website. Any mention of products, vendors, providers, documentation, or services is for informational purposes only